The doors of the world’s best Universities are being opened wide for a new generation of self-directed learners who want to learn independently online.
Thanks to the rise of MOOCs (Massive Open Online Courses), you can now easily learn anywhere by taking online courses from the world’s best Universities. If you’re eager to upgrade your skills then there are lots of opportunities to learn on the Internet without having to sit in a traditional classroom.
Today lifelong learning is essential. Many traditional industries are being disrupted by automation and artificial intelligence while we are seeing the rise of new digital industries that require self-directed learning and constant upgrading of technical skills.
You can learn many of today’s most valuable skills online while also earning the professional certifications and building the digital portfolio you need to land a new job.
Learning In The Open Classroom:
Here is a guide to learning new skills for the fastest-growing industries in the world today.
You can design your own education by choosing from 100+ online courses and skill specializations that are taught by professors at some of the world’s best Universities.
Affiliate Disclosure: You can freely audit all of these online courses. If you choose to purchase a course or specialization for the certification then we get a share of the revenue through our affiliate partners.
If you struggle to learn independently and you want to become better at self-directed learning and more productive at work then I invite you to watch my latest webinar on Flow Psychology.
Learn the sustainable practices that are reshaping the economy.
1. Act on Climate: Steps to Individual, Community, and Political Action – University of Michigan
2. Introduction to Sustainability – University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
3. Greening the Economy: Sustainable Cities – Lund University
4. Biosphere 2 Science for the Future of Our Planet – University of Arizona
5. The Sustainable Development Goals – A Global, Transdisciplinary Vision for the Future – University of Copenhagen
6. Sustainability of Social-Ecological Systems: The Nexus between Water, Energy and Food – Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona
7. Sustainability through Soccer: Systems-Thinking in Action – University of Virginia
8. Sustainable Development in the 21st Century with Ban Ki-moon – Yonsei University (Coursera)
2. Renewable Energy
Learn how renewable energy can power the future of the world.
1. Renewable Energy and Green Building Entrepreneurship – Duke University
2. Introduction To Solar Cells – Technical University of Denmark
3. Our Energy Future – University of California San Diego
4. Wind Energy – Technical University of Denmark (DTU)
5. Energy, Environment, and Everyday Life – University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
3. Sustainable Commerce
Apply sustainability practices in commercial organizations.
1. Become a Sustainable Business Change Agent Specialization – University of Colorado Denver (Coursera)
2. Corporate Sustainability. Understanding and Seizing the Strategic Opportunity – Università Bocconi (Coursera)
3. Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR): A Strategic Approach – University of Pennsylvania (edX)
4. Strategy and the Sustainable Enterprise – IIM Bangalore
4. Business Strategy
Develop your business strategy and strategic communication skills.
1. Foundations of Business Strategy – University of Virginia (Coursera)
2. Business Foundations Specialization – University of Pennsylvania (Coursera)
3. Business Analytics Specialization – University of Pennsylvania (Coursera)
4. Business Strategies for A Better World – University of Pennsylvania (Coursera)
5. Business Communications – University of British Columbia
6. Intelligence Tools for the Digital Age – IE Business School
5. Digital Entrepreneurship
Learn the fundamentals of how to plan and launch your own business.
1. Entrepreneurship: Launching an Innovative Business Specialization – University of Maryland
2. Creativity And Entrepreneurship – Berklee College of Music
3. Social Entrepreneurship – University of Pennsylvania
4. Innovation: From Creativity to Entrepreneurship – University of Illinois
5. Corporate Entrepreneurship: Innovating within Corporations Specialization – University of Maryland
6. Startup Entrepreneurship Specialization – Israel Institute of Technology
Develop your leadership skills and grow faster in your career.
1. Inspiring Leadership through Emotional Intelligence – Case Western Reserve University
2. Inspired Leadership Specialization – Case Western Reserve
4. Introduction to Public Speaking – University of Washington
5. Leading People and Teams Specialization – University of Michigan
7. Finance and Investing
Expand your knowledge of international financial markets and investment strategies.
1. Financial Markets and Investment Strategy Specialization – Indian School of Business
2. Investment and Portfolio Management Specialization – Rice University
3. Welcome to Game Theory – University of Tokyo
4. Introduction to Finance: Valuation and Investing – University of Michigan
5. Finance for Everyone: Smart Tools for Decision-Making – University of Michigan
8. Digital Marketing
Learn how marketing and advertising is changing in the digital economy.
1. Content Strategy for Professionals: Ensuring Your Content’s Impact – Northwestern University
2. Foundations of Marketing Analytics Specialization – Emory University
3. Viral Marketing and How to Craft Contagious Content – University of Pennsylvania
4. Social Media Specialization – Northwestern University
5. Marketing In A Digital World – University of Illinois
9. Design Thinking
Apply design thinking to complex, real-world problems.
1. Getting Started: Agile Meets Design Thinking – University of Virginia
2. Design Thinking for the Greater Good: Innovation in the Social Sector – University of Virginia
4. Product Management with Lean, Agile and System Design Thinking – Boston University
Develop your graphic design skills and build more effective user interfaces.
1. Interaction Design Specialization – University of California San Diego
2. Design and Make Infographics – Michigan State University
3. Design: Creation of Artifacts in Society – University of Pennsylvania
4. Gamification – University of Pennsylvania
5. Fundamentals of Graphic Design Specialization – California Institute of the Arts
11. Artificial Intelligence
Learn about the emerging A.I. technologies that will power the next economic boom.
1. Emerging Technologies: From Augmented Reality to IoT to Big Data – Yonsei University
2. Deep Learning Specialization – Stanford University
3. Machine Learning Specialization – University of Washington
12. Data Science
Follow scientific methods for data analysis and getting insights from data.
1. Data Science Specialization – John Hopkins University
2. Introduction to Data Exploration and Visualization – Arizona State University
3. Data Systems Specialization – University of Michigan
4. Introduction to Applied Data Science – IBM Learning Labs
Learn the blockchain platform and how it is disrupting the world of finance.
1. Blockchain for Business – An Introduction to Hyperledger Technologies – The Linux Foundation
2. Blockchain Specialization – University of Buffalo
3. Bitcoin, Ethereum and Cryptocurrencies – University of California Berkeley
14. Computer Science
Learn how computers work and how to program them.
1. Python for Everybody Specialization – University of Michigan
2. Learn to Program: The Fundamentals – University of Toronto
3. CS50’s Introduction to Computer Science – Harvard University
4. Problem Solving, Programming, and Video Games – University of Alberta
15. Web Development
Learn how to make websites and develop applications for the web.
1. Web Design for Everybody (Basics of Web Development and Coding) Specialization – University of Michigan
2. An Introduction to Programming the Internet of Things (IOT) Specialization – UCI
3. Full Stack Web and Multiplatform Mobile App Development Specialization – Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
5. Full Stack Web Development With React – Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
6. Responsive Website Development and Design Specialization – University of London.
16. Mobile Development
Learn how to develop apps for mobile devices, including V.R. and A.R.
1. iOS App Development with Swift Specialization – University of Toronto
2. Android App Development Specialization – Vanderbilt University
3. Mobile VR App Development with Unity – Unity Labs
4. Getting Started with Augmented Reality – Institut Mines-Télécom
Build robots, computer hardware, and networks from scratch.
1. Robotics Specialization – University of Pennsylvania
2. The 3D Printing Revolution – University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
3. CyberSecurity Specialization – University of Maryland
5. Build a Modern Computer from First Principles: From Nand to Tetris – Hebrew University of Jerusalem
18. Health and Well-Being:
Gain a better understanding of physical and mental health.
1. The Addicted Brain – Emory University
2. The Science of Exercise – University of Colorado Boulder
3. Gut Check: Exploring Your Microbiome – University of Colorado Boulder
4. Vital Signs: Understanding What the Body Is Telling Us – University of Pennsylvania
5. Introductory Human Physiology – Duke University
6. Introduction to the Biology of Cancer – John Hopkins University
7. Understanding the Brain: The Neurobiology of Everyday Life – University of Chicago
8. The Science of Well-Being – Yale University
Learn about some of the most interesting areas of science today.
1. Science Literacy: How Solid Science Can Help You Save the World – Erasmus University Rotterdam
2. Genomics: Decoding the Universal Language of Life – University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
3. Quantum Mechanics for Everyone – Georgetown University
4. How Things Work: An Introduction to Physics – University of Virginia
5. DNA: Biology’s Genetic Code – Rice University
6. Introduction to Biology – The Secret of Life – Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Learn more about mathematics, statistics, and probability.
1. Fibonacci Numbers and the Golden Ratio – The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
2. Fat Chance: Probability from the Ground Up – Harvard University
3. Pre-University Calculus – TU Delft
4. Math in Sports – University of Notre Dame
5. Introduction to Logic – Stanford University
Whether you want to upgrade your skills or launch a new career in a more high-growth area, these online courses are a good place to start learning on your own.