I watch a lot of documentaries. I think they are incredible tools for learning and increasing our awareness of important issues. The power of an interesting documentary is that it can open our minds to new possibilities and deepen our understanding of the world.
On this list of mind expanding documentaries you will find different viewpoints, controversial opinions, and even contradictory ideas. Critical thinking is recommended. I’m not a big fan of conspiracy documentaries but I do like films that challenge consensus reality and provoke us to question the everyday ideas, opinions, and practices we usually take for granted.
Watching documentaries is one of my favorite methods of self-education. If I find a documentary inspiring, I usually spend more time researching the different ideas and interesting people interviewed in the film.
I hope you find these mind expanding documentaries as enlightening as I did!
 Life In The Biosphere
Explore the wonder and interconnectedness of the biosphere through the magic of technology.
2. Earth From Space
4. Wild City of Ants
5. Mt. Everest
6. The Tallest Trees on Earth
7. The Great Bear Rainforest
8. Amazing Animals Hidden Deep in the Jungle
9. The Grand Canyon
10. The Intelligence of Plants
 Creativity and Design:
Learn about all the amazing things that people dream up and create with their imagination.
1. Everything Is A Remix
2. Raising Creativity
3. Teaching to See
4. Design: The New Business
5. PressPausePlay: Art and Creativity in the Digital Age
6. Infamy: A Graffiti Documentary
7. Influencers: How Trends and Creativity Become Contagious
8. RIP: A Remix Manifesto
9. Connecting: Trends in UI, Interaction, & Experience Design
10. The Genius Of Design
 The Education Industrial Complex:
The modern school where young minds are molded into standardized citizens by the state.
1. The College Conspiracy
2. Declining by Degrees: Higher Education at Risk
3. The Forbidden Education
4. Schooling The World
5. College Inc.
6. Education For A Sustainable Future
7. Networked Society: The Future of Learning
8. The Ultimate History Lesson With John Taylor Gatto
9. The Education System in Communist China
10. Courageous Learning
 The Digital Revolution:
The Internet is now the driving force behind change and innovation in the world.
1. Download: The True Story of the Internet
2. Cybertopia: The Dreams of Silicon Valley
3. Resonance: Beings of Frequency
5. Life In A Day
6. Networked Society: On The Brink
7. Us Now: Social Media and Mass Collaboration
8. WikiRebels: The WikiLeaks Story
9. The Virtual Revolution: The Cost of Free
10. How Hackers Changed the World
 21st Century Civilization:
Controversial films that raise important questions about our present and future.
1. THRIVE: What On Earth Will It Take?
2. Zeitgeist III: Moving Forward
3. Paradise or Oblivion
4. 2012: Time For Change
5. The Crisis of Civilization
6. The Collective Evolution III
7. The Quickening: Awakening As One
8. Love, Reality, and the Time of Transition
10. The Awakening
Explore the politics of power and control and how it affects your life.
1. The Untouchables
3. The Power Principle
4. The True Story of Che Guevara
5. Earth Days
6. Capitalism Is The Crisis
7. WikiLeaks: The Secret Life of a Superpower
8. The Putin System
9. The War On Democracy
10. Rise Like Lions: Occupy Wall Street and the Seeds of Revolution
 Biographies of Genius:
The biographies of modern geniuses who pushed humanity forward.
1. Isaac Newton: The Last Magician
2. Nikola Tesla: The Story of a Genius
3. The Unlimited Energy of Nicola Tesla
4. The Missing Secrets Of Nikola Tesla
5. Richard Feynman: No Ordinary Genius
6. How Albert Einstein’s Brain Worked
7. The Extraordinary Genius of Albert Einstein
8. The Biography of Albert Einstein
9. Da Vinci: Unlocking The Genius
10. Leonardo Da Vinci: The Man Who Wanted to Know Everything
War is history’s oldest racket for stealing from the powerless and redistributing resources to the powerful.
1. Psywar: The Real Battlefield Is Your Mind
2. The History of World War II
3. The Secret History of 9/11
4. Robot Armies in the Future
5. The Never Ending War in Afghanistan
6. Shadow Company: Mercenaries In The Modern World
7. World War II From Space
8. Unmanned: America’s Drone Wars
9. The Fog Of War
10. The Oil Factor: Behind The War On Terror
Learn about the global financial system and how people and societies are enslaved through debt.
1. The Corporation: The Pathological Pursuit of Profit and Power
2. Overdose: The Next Financial Crisis
3. The Ascent of Money: A Financial History of The World
4. The One Percent
5. Quants: The Alchemists of Wall Street
6. The Great Euro Crisis
7. The Four Horsemen
8. The Secret of Oz
9. The German Economic Model
10. Money and Life
 Digital Entrepreneurship:
Profiles of the entrepreneurs who used technology to change the world.
1. The Life Of A Young Entrepreneur
2. Profile: Google’s Larry Page and Sergey Brin
3. Profile: Facebook’s Mark Zuckerberg
4. Starting-Up in America
5. The Biography of Bill Gates
6. Inside Google: The Billion Dollar Machine
7. Steve Jobs: One Last Thing
8 . Steve Jobs: The Man In The Machine
9. Elon Musk: Risk Takers
10. The Story of Twitter
Experience Deep Transformative Meditation With These 6 Free Tracks
Download iAwake Explore – 6 free tracks designed to give you a taste of the solutions we provide for relaxation, optimal performance, spiritual development, and healing with binaural beat technology.
Watch the inspiring stories of amazing athletes.
1. Fearless: The Jeb Corliss Story
2. Carts of Darkness
3. Stephen Curry: NBA MVP
4. Usain Bolt: The World’s Fastest Man
5. Wayne Gretzky: The Life and Times
6. Bigger, Faster, Stronger
7. Mike Tyson: Beyond the Glory
8. Muhammed Ali: The Complete Life Story
9. The Legacy Of Michael Jordan
10. We Ride: The Story of Snowboarding
Find out more about the impact of exponential growth and the approaching Singularity.
1. The Modern Wonders of the World
2. How Robots Will Change the World
3. Offline: The New Luxury
4. Technology of the Future
5. Trance-Formation: The Future of Humanity
6. The Venus Project: Future By Design
7. Bionics, Transhumanism And The End Of Evolution
8. The Singularity Is Near
9. Car Technology Of The Future
10. Powering The Future: The Energy Revolution
 Origins of Religion:
Explore the original religious experience of mankind at the dawn of civilization.
1. Entheogen: Awakening the Divine Within
2. Manifesting the Mind: Footprints of the Shaman
3. Ancient Egypt and The Alternative Story of Mankind’s Origins
4. The Hidden Knowledge of the Supernatural
5. Re-Awaken: Open Your Heart, Expand Your Mind
6. Shamans of the Amazon
7. The Root of All Evil: The God Delusion
8. Ancient Knowledge
9. The Naked Truth
10. Lost Gods: A Pagan History
 Western Religion:
The fascinating history of the three Abrahamic religions: Judaism, Christianity and Islam.
1. Secret Quest: The Path of the Christian Gnostics
2. The Secret Gate of Eden
3. Forbidden Knowledge: Lost Secrets of the Bible
4. Banned From The Bible: Secrets Of The Apostles
5. The Life of Prophet Muhammad
6. The Road To Armageddon
7. The Most Hated Family In America
8. Muhammad: The Legacy of a Prophet
9. A Complete History of God
10. Gnosis: The Untold History of the Bible
 Eastern Religion:
Expand your mind by also studying the entirely different religious worldviews of the East.
1. Inner Worlds, Outer Worlds
2. The Life Of The Buddha
3. The Seven Wonders of the Buddhist World
4. Mysteries of the Cosmic OM: Ancient Vedic Science
5. Where Science and Buddhism Meet
6. The Yogis of Tibet
7. Taj Mahal: Secrets To Blow Your Mind
8. Light at the Edge of the World: Tibetan Science of the Mind
9. Myths of Mankind: The Mahabharata
10. Ayurveda: The Art of Being
Learn about the basic unity of existence and the miracle of consciousness.
1. Athene’s Theory of Everything
2. Theory of Everything: GOD, Devils, Dimensions, Dragons & The Illusion of Reality
3. The God Within: Physics, Cosmology and Consciousness
4. 5 Gateways: The Five Key Expansions of Consciousness
5. Return to the Source: Philosophy and The Matrix
6. The Holographic Universe
7. DMT: The Spirit Molecule
8. What Is Consciousness?
10. Neuroplasticity: The Brain That Changes Itself
Indiana Jones-style explorations into the unsolved mysteries of the past.
1. Alchemy: Sacred Secrets Revealed
2. The Day Before Disclosure
3. The Pyramid Code
4. The Secret Design of the Egyptian Pyramids
5. Decoding the Past: Secrets of the Dollar Bill
6. The Lost Gods of Easter Island
7. Origins of the Da Vinci Code
8. Forbidden Knowledge: Ancient Medical Secrets
9. Secret Mysteries of America’s Beginnings: The New Atlantis
10. Secrets in Plain Sight
 Mass Culture:
Learn about how our thoughts and opinions are influenced by mass culture.
1. The Century of the Self
2. All Watched Over By Machines Of Loving Grace
4. The Power Of Nightmares
5. Starsuckers: A Culture Obsessed By Celebrity
6. Human Resources: Social Engineering in the 20th Century
7. Obey: The Death of the Liberal Class
8. Brazil: In the Shadow of the Stadiums
9. Bob Marley: Freedom Road
10. Radiant City
 Corporate Media:
Discover how the mass media and advertisers channel our irrational impulses.
1. Weapons of Mass Deceptions
2. Secrets of the Superbrands
3. What Makes You Click
4. The Esoteric Agenda
5. The Medium Is The Message
6. The Myth of the Liberal Media: The Propaganda Model of News
7. Manufacturing Consent: Noam Chomsky and the Media
8. Symbolism in Logos: Subliminal Messages or Ancient Archetypes
9. Edward Snowden: A Truth Unveiled
10. Outfoxed: Rupert Murdoch’s War on Journalism
 Art and Literature:
Explore the lives of famous artists and how art opens people’s minds.
1. Lord Of The Rings: Facts Behind The Fiction
2. Cosm: Alex Gray’s Visionary Art
3. Jean Michel Basquiat: The Radiant Child
4. New Art and the Young Artists Behind It
5. Salvador Dali: A Master of the Modern Era
6. How Art Made The World: More Human Than Human
7. The Day Pictures Were Born
8. Guns, Germs and Steel
9. Off-Book: Digital Age Creativity
10. This Is Modern Art
Explore issues in health, how our bodies work and the incredible power of our brains.
1. Secrets of the Human Brain
2. The Truth About Exercise
3. How To Live To A Hundred
4. Fast Food, Fat Profits: Obesity In America
5. The War On Health
6. The Beautiful Truth
7. Food On The Brain
8. The Truth About Food
9. The Truth About Sugar
10. Breaking The Silence About Mental Health
Documentaries on the effect of drugs — legal and illegal — on the body and mind.
1. The Union: The Business Behind Getting High
2. The Drugging Of Our Children
3. Northwest Trees
4. Making a Killing: The Untold Story of Psychotropic Drugging
5. Clearing the Smoke: The Science of Cannabis
6. Hofman’s Potion
7. The War on Drugs: The Prison Industrial Complex
8. Are Illegal Drugs More Dangerous Than Legal Drugs?
9. The Prescription Drug Abuse Epidemic
10. Run From The Cure: The Rick Simpson Story
Thought-provoking documentaries on the environmental movement and the growing threats to our biosphere.
1. The Anthropocene: The Age of Mankind
2. Blue Gold: World Water Wars
3. Regreening The Planet
4. Shift: Beyond the Numbers of the Climate Crisis
5. All Things Are Connected
6. The Fight For Amazonia
7. Seed Battles: The Doomsday Vault
8. Here Comes the Sun
9. The Rise of Vertical Farming
10. The Story of Stuff
Expand your mind by exploring our indescribably large and beautiful Cosmos.
1. The Search for Planets Similar to Earth
2. Inside the Milky Way Galaxy
3. Cosmic Journeys : The Largest Black Holes in the Universe
4. Beyond The Big Bang
5. The Mystery of the Milky Way
6. Fractals: The Hidden Dimension
7. Into The Universe With Stephen Hawking: The Story of Everything
8. Pioneer Science: Discovering Deep Space
9. Carl Sagan’s Cosmos
10. The Strangest Things In The Universe
The history of scientific discovery and how scientific instruments expand our perception.
1. A Science Odyssey: Mysteries of the Universe
2. The Quantum Revolution
3. Secret Universe: The Hidden Life of the Cell
4. Stephen Hawking: A Brief History of Time
5. Quantum Mechanics: Fabric of the Cosmos
6. The Light Fantastic
7. DNA: The Secret of Life
8. Parallel Universes, Alternative Timelines & Multiverse
9. What Is The Higgs Boson?
The story of our evolution and the emergence of self-aware human beings.
1. The Origin of Life
2. Homo Sapiens: The Birth of Humanity
3. The New Theory of Evolution
4. The Global Brain
5. Metanoia: A New Vision of Nature
6. Birth Of A New Humanity
7. What Darwin Never Knew
8. Ape Man: Adventures in Human Evolution
9. The Incredible Human Journey
10. The Human Family Tree
 Psychology and The Brain:
New research is shining a spotlight on how we can improve our brains.
1. How Smart Can We Get?
2. The Science of Lust
3. DNA: The Secret of Life
4. What Are Dreams?
5. A Virus Called Fear
6. Beyond Thought (Awareness Itself)
7. The Psychology of Narcissism
8. Superconscious Mind: How To Double Your Brain’s Performance
9. Memory Hackers
10. Secrets of the Mind
 Modern History:
The story of the Enlightenment, the Industrial Revolution and the rise of the modern world.
1. The Entrepreneurs Who Built America
2. History of the World in Two Hours
3. The Industrial Revolution
4. The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich
5. The Adventure of the English Language
6. The French Revolution
7. Big Sugar
8. The Spanish Inquisition
9. The American Revolution
10. The Mexican American War
 Pre-Modern History:
The story of the Americas and European history in the pre-modern world.
1. America Before Columbus
2. The Dark Ages
3. Socrates, Aristotle and Plato
4. The Medici: The Most Influential Family In The World
5. Rome: The Rise And Fall Of An Empire
6. History of Britain: The Myth of the Anglo-Saxon Invasion
7. A History of Celtic Britain
8. The Crusades: Victory and Defeat
9. The Vikings: Voyage To America
10. Copernicus and the Scientific Revolution
 Recent Events:
Become more informed about recent events that have shaped the world.
1. Syria: The Roots of Tyranny
2. Empire: Putin’s Russia
3. The New Arms Race
4. State of Surveillance With Edward Snowden
5. Trump: The Comeback?
6. Are We Getting Dumber?
7. Global Spyware Scandal
8. Iran: Life Under Sanctions
9. Who Rules America?
10. Brexit: A Very British Coup
 Ancient Civilizations:
Fascination explorations into the ancient civilizations of our past.
1. When God Was a Girl: When Goddesses Ruled The Heavens and Earth
2. The Persian Empire: Most Mysterious Civilization in the Ancient World
3. What The Ancients Did For Us
4. What the Ancients Knew
5. Egypt: Beyond the Pyramids
6. Secrets of the Ancient Empires
7. Constellations & Ancient Civilizations
8. Graham Hancock’s Quest For The Lost Civilization
9. Atlantis: The Lost Continent
10. Seven Wonders of the Ancient World
 Sustainable Future
2. Zero Waste In Business
3. The Breakthrough In Renewal Energy
4. The Search For Sustainability
5. A Simpler Way: Crisis as Opportunity
6. A Future of Abundance
7. Salmon Confidential
8. Design: e² – Sustainable Architecture
9. Dirt! The Movie
10. Back To Eden
I hope you enjoy watching some of these mind expanding documentaries!