We’ve all at some point seen the cliché situation of a man sitting at a...
There are now over 700,000 apps in Apple’s App Store and Google’s Play marketplace is not far behind. An estimated 955 apps are submitted to the App Store everyday, so what’s a developer to do to make their stand out and get noticed? Fortunately, there is a lot that you can do to dominate the App store rankings.
In this App Marketing Guide you will find an outline of successful App Marketing tactics, useful white papers for learning, the best tools for App Store optimization/analytics and where you can start reaching out to people to review your app. It is important that you map out a App Marketing strategy long before you launch your app in any App Store because the first 48 hours live in Apple’s App Store or Google’s Play is crucial to your app’s success.
Many great apps never get the traction or the press that they deserve. This creates a huge opportunity for digital marketers that can help app developers and publishers ensure their investment in app development is not wasted. If you want to learn an emerging sector in the digital economy, I recommend you learn App Marketing because it is a skill that will only become more in-demand as dominant app stores like Apple’s App Store and Google’s Play get even more crowded and competitive.
App Marketing Tactics:
These App Marketing tactics provide a good foundation for getting your app found. Plan a full 2-7 days marketing blitz with a press release, outreach to influential review websites, an engaging demo video and a campaign of guest blogging to achieve a critical mass of downloads and a ranking in the crucial 48-hour window after your app is released.
- Strategic optimization using keywords in the title and description.
- Press releases to publicize your app’s launch.
- App submission to popular app review websites.
- A demo video on your website and YouTube.
- Social sharing with your personal network on Facebook, Google+, LinkedIn and Twitter.
- A professional, search optimized website that is ranking before your official app launch.
- Use Google Alerts or SocialMention to monitor and participate in conversations about your app.
- Reach out to influential tech journalists by e-mail or on Twitter, Google+ or LinkedIn.
- Build buzz with blogger outreach and guest blogging before and during your launch.
- Build an e-mail list before your launch with LaunchRock.
App Marketing Tools:
- Tapstream – App analytics that grabs sales data from App Stores and shows you which app marketing tactics are most effective.
- Mixpanel – Analytics platform for mobile and the web.
- Applyzer – Track your ranking in every app marketplace as well as your competitors.
- AppViz 2 – Track sales, reviews and app rankings.
- Localytics – Track how people use your app, increase engagement and in-app purchases.
- App Store Rankings – Track your ranking in the App Store.
- AppLaunch – A paid tool that submits your app and press release to every app review site.
- AppFigures – Details reports, analytics and rankings for all your apps in every appstore.
App Store Optimization:
- SearchMan SEO – Improve App Store rankings.
- AppCodes – The “Swiss Army Knife for App Store Optimization”.
- MobileDevHQ – Tools to analyze and optimize your app store presence.
Mobile App Ad Networks:
- TapJoy – Distribute and monetize your app.
- Facebook Mobile App Installs – Socially targeted ads specifically for mobile apps.
- Google’s AdMob Mobile Ads – Get new users for your app from the largest mobile ad network.
- AirPush – Android app advertising.
- PRMac – Press release distribution for iOS Apps.
- iSpreadNews – Promote your iOS, Android or WP7 app to related sites.
- AppPromoter – Media outreach for app developers and publishers.
- Google Mobile Ads – The largest mobile ad platform.
- AppTap – App recommendations and advertising.
- Appia – Ad network and monetization tools.
- Matomy – Affiliate marketing and ads for mobile apps.
App Review Websites:
- 148Apps – One of the largest app review sites.
- AppShrink – Daily app reviews.
- GreatApps – 25 apps reviewed daily.
- FreshApps – Digg-like voting for app reviews.
- AppShopper – They publish recent app price reductions.
- Appolicious – One of the largest app review websites.
- AppVee – Video reviews of new apps.
- AppAdvice – App reviews, lists and guides
- AppAppeal – Free app directory.
- The Daily App Show – Reviews of iPhone, iPad and Android apps.
- AppBrain – Reviews for Android apps.
- AppStorm – Reviews for most mobile platforms.
Free White Papers:
White papers are a great resource to learn App Marketing from industry experts.
- How To Get Found and Be Famous in the App Stores – Optimization techniques for iOS and Android apps.
- How To Plan For A Successful App Launch – Planning your marketing strategy before your launch is crucial.
- Android App Marketing and Google Play – Techniques to get your Android app found and increase installs.
- The Essentials of Mobile App Marketing – A quick overview of mobile app marketing tactics.
- Top 5 Mobile App Marketing Mistakes (And How To Avoid Them) – Important things to avoid in your marketing tactics.
- 10 Big Brand Strategies for Mobile App Marketing – Learn from the big boys!
Here are some essential blog posts that I found to be helpful to learn App Marketing.
- App Store SEO: The Inbound Marketer’s Guide to Mobile (Moz)
- The Beginner’s Guide to Mobile App Marketing (Quick Sprout)
- How App Discovery and Marketing Changes with iOS 6’s New Facebook Integration (Appular)
- Reaching 10M Downloads, And The Guerrilla Marketing Tactics We Used To Get There (TechCrunch)
- iOS App Review Sites – 168 Sites To Promote iPhone And iPad Apps (ManiacDev)
- The Art Of Launching An App: A Case Study (Smashing Magazine)
- App Store Optimization: Ranking Factors (Search Engine Watch)
- How To Implement SEO For Apps Inside The App Store (Slideshare)
- App Store SEO: How To Make Organic Traffic Sell Your iPhone Apps (Slideshare)
- Apple’s App Store Resource Center (Apple Developers)
- Driving Cost-Effective Mobile App Downloads with AdWords (YouTube)
- App Marketing 101 : How to break into the top 25 on the App Store? (InMobi)
- APPetite App Marketing Podcast (iTunes)
That should be enough App Marketing resources to get your started. If you know of something great that I missed feel free to add it in the comments.
Latest posts by Kyle Pearce (see all)
- The 21st Century Skills You Need For Today’s Job Market - October 20, 2014
- Flow States: The Art of Hacking Your Flow State - October 7, 2014
- The Best New Courses, Documentaries and Apps This Month (October 2014 Edition) - October 1, 2014